Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women: Plymouth 0-4 Albion

16 February 2014


Waine 25
Barton 76
Merritt 78
Whitcombe 85

Albion women progressed into the fourth round of the FA Women’s Cup following a comprehensive victory over Plymouth.

Strikes from Tammy Waine, Kirsty Barton, Rebecca Merritt and Kim Whitcombe sealed a fourth round tie away at Coventry City - a match that will be played at the Ricoh Arena on 16th March.

The game started with early chances for both sides, as Laura Perrett fired over the bar before Cally Beaumont almost met Barton’s corner at the far post.

Albion then came close as Barton and Charlotte Owen tried their luck with long-range efforts.

Charlotte Young also had an early opportunity with a ferocious shot from inside the box that just cleared the crossbar.

But the deadlock was broken in emphatic fashion thanks to Waine’s superb strike from distance. The Albion skipper launched an unstoppable effort past Pilgrims keeper Michaela Phillips that nestled in the top left-hand corner.

The hosts went close themselves moments later when Perrett’s speculative strike clipped the top of the bar.

John Donoghue’s side could have doubled their advantage just before half-time, as a sweeping move involving Young and Rosie Kmita ended with Waine’s shot that went just wide.

Argyle looked dangerous on the counter-attack after the break, when Jodie Chubb fired her shot against the post after being played through one-on-one with Toni-Anne Wayne.

Albion again went close to extending their lead as Barton latched onto Merritt’s scuffed shot inside the box, but Mollie Taylor cleared the ball away from the goalmouth.

Owen then had another spectacular effort from far outside the box that twice crashed against the woodwork before rebounding to safety.

The second goal eventually came courtesy of Barton with just under 15 minutes remaining, as the midfielder completed a slick passing move involving Lucy Somes and Paula Howells by coolly finishing past Phillips.

Just two minutes later Merritt added a third goal with an unstoppable left-footed strike past Phillips to put the game beyond Plymouth.

Howells then came close to netting her first senior goal for the club, but her shot forced a fine save from the Argyle number one.

Whitcombe concluded the scoring five minutes from time, tapping the ball home after Barton’s initial free-kick cannoned off the post to wrap up emphatic victory.

Albion: Wayne (GK); Capon, Beaumont, Carter; Poole, Young, Barton, Rosie Kmita(Somes 62); Owen, Waine (Howells 62), Merritt (Whitcombe 79). Subs not used: Sole (GK); Green.

Advertisement block