Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/04/2014

12 April 2014

Report: Albion 3 Charlton 0

Brighton & Hove Albion entered the Championship play-off places with an excellent 3-0 victory over Charlton Athletic at the American Express Community Stadium.
The visitors didn’t manage to create many chances as the Seagulls continued their hunt for a top-six finish, and a great strike from Jesse Lingard put Albion in the lead after just 11 minutes.
Leo Ulloa made it 2-0 before Jake Forster-Caskey also got his name on the scoresheet in added time, ensuring Oscar Garcia’s men took all three points and followed up Tuesday's terrific 4-1 win over Premier League-bound Leicester City.
As a mark of respect and remembrance for what happened at Hillsborough 25 years ago, the kick-off was seven minutes later than scheduled and started with a one-minute silence.
Once the action commenced Albion were the brighter of the two teams early on and the Addicks had to spend most time of the game in defensive mode.
Kazenga LuaLua created the game’s first opening but his shot went wide before Solly March, who had been rewarded for his progression into the first-team with a new four-year senior contract, had a chance early on but the shot went straight at Ben Hamer.
But on 11 minutes Lingard put Oscar's men into the lead as he produced a fine finish into the lower right corner with the outside of his boot.
With seven minutes left of the first half March came close to a second for the Seagulls before Charlton, with their only real chance in the half, almost found an equaliser, only for Rez to see his deflected strike bounce off the underside of the bar.
Brighton swept straight up the other end and made it 2-0 as Ulloa powered home, and they continued to pressure Charlton in the second half. Ten minutes in, Lingard was close to scoring his second in the game. Then, just moments later the Manchester United loanee fired over after being flicked through by Ulloa.
Charlton were never a real threat and the hosts looked in control throughout the whole of the second half  and into added time Foster-Caskey wrapped the game up with an arrowed left-foot finish. 

Advertisement block