Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women: Eastbourne Town 1-7 Albion

4 November 2013

Daly 58

ALBION                           7
Waine 3, 52, 60
Stenning 10, 59, 63
Khassal 68

Two hat-tricks from Tammy Waine and Kim Stenning helped Albion women cruise past Eastbourne Town into the Sussex Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

John Donoghue’s side took the lead in the third minute, as Waine’s curled shot from the edge of the area nestled into the bottom left-hand corner.

Stenning then doubled the Seagulls’ advantage inside the opening ten minutes, shrugging off the challenge of Town defender Emma Parslow and shooting past Chelsea Jenkinson from close range.

But Albion could not add to their two-goal cushion before the break despite creating several more opportunities; as Waine weaved inside the box but shot over the bar, before Stenning struck wide of the far post from an acute angle.

A third goal did come seven minutes after the restart, when Waine latched onto Sophie Perry’s through ball and she coolly slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

Eastbourne then gave themselves a chance of an unlikely comeback with the first of five goals in an action-packed ten minute spell, thanks to Janine Daly’s free-kick which beat Lucy Mangan and sailed into the top-left corner.

The Seagulls responded straight from the kick-off as Waine spotted Stenning inside the box and the striker tapped home.

First-team captain Waine then completed her hat-trick with a close range strike, before turning into a provider for Stenning three minutes later, who then netted her third of the match.

The scoring was concluded by substitute Cherelle Khassal with a diving header at the far post after Jenkinson tipped Waine’s effort directly into her path.

Albion had more chances to increase their tally in the final 20 minutes, as Cally Beaumont’s header was cleared off the line and Jenkinson then had to be alert to push away Perry’s volley.

Head coach Donoghue was pleased with an accomplished second 45 minutes, after responding to a lacklustre first-half display when a lack of recent match action showed.

He told, “I was really pleased with the second-half, we got our strikers scoring goals. We were incisive and quick with the ball and won it back quickly.

“In the first-half it looked like we hadn’t played for the weeks we have, but I was a bit annoyed that they didn’t start as quickly as what we were trying to do.

“But the good thing is that we had a strength of character to change in the second-half. I spoke to each player individually and asked them what they could do in the next half, and they did it.”

Albion: Mangan (GK); Poole, Beaumont, Hector, Perry; Natkiel, Young (Khassal 61), Barton (Capon 67), Talbut-Smith (Chandler 45); Waine, Stenning.  

Next three fixtures:

10th November: Gillingham (H)Premier League Cup

17th November: Crawley Wasps (A)SCFA Cup

24th November: Chesham United (H)Premier League Southern Division

Advertisement block