Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/12/2013

7 December 2013

Report: Albion 3 Leicester 1

Albion bounced back from their midweek loss to Barnsley with a superb 3-1 win over league leaders, Leicester.

Two goals from Ashley Barnes, either side of Craig Conway’s well taken finish, ensured the Foxes left the Amex with back-to-back losses for the first time this season.

Albion flew out of the blocks and were rewarded when Barnes opened the scoring with less than ten minutes played.

Seizing on a wayward Leicester clearance, David Lopez found himself in space on the Albion right and his perfectly weighted cross found the in-form striker, who tucked home at the far post.

Oscar Garcia’s men side weren’t having it all their own way however and, having lost keeper Tomasz Kuszczak during the warm-up, they were forced into another early change as Gordon Greer limped off with only a quarter of an hour played.

Yet far from disrupt their pattern of play, Albion doubled their lead when Lopez, picking the ball up on the half-way line, hit a sumptuous cross-field pass that fell into the path of Craig Conway.

Controlling the ball with his chest, the Scottish international steadied himself before firing his effort low across the face of the Leicester goal, giving keeper Kasper Schmeichel no chance.

It was little more than Albion deserved and with half-time approaching, there were few chances of note for either side as the hosts continued to look comfortable.

Five minutes into the second half Albion almost added a third as Liam Bridcutt’s effort went wide before a further effort from Conway and a long-range drive from Andrew Crofts followed.

The visitors kept pressing and drew a goal back when Anthony Knockaert’s free-kick evaded everyone on its way to Andy King, whose back-post diving header left stand-in keeper Peter Brezovan with little chance.

The Foxes looked rejuvenated and Brezovan had to be alert to turn a goalbound effort behind for a corner.

However, Albion could breathe easier when Barnes made it 3-1 from the penalty spot after Wes Morgan had dragged him down in the area. 

Advertisement block