Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Albion v Millwall

31 August 2013

Report: Albion 1 Millwall 1

History repeated itself at the Amex as Albion struck late to deny a physical Millwall side victory at the home of the Seagulls.

In scenes reminiscent of the previous two visits of the Lions, the Seagulls left it late to draw level thanks to Leonardo Ulloa’s close range finish.

Martyn Woolford had given Steve Lomas’s side the lead at the start of the second half but, in a breathless and pulsating finish, Oscar Garcia’s men piled on the pressure late on and were extremely unfortunate not to end up with all three points.

But it was a point earned and a defeat avoided due to a true show of character which will have pleased Oscar and his staff ahead of the international break.

Both sides prodded and probed at the other’s defence without truly threatening as the game failed to fall into a fluid rhythm and, despite the last three fixtures between the two sides having produced seven goals, there was little in terms of goal mouth action as the first half drew to a close.

Oscar shuffled his pack at the break, bringing on the returning Andrea Orlandi for Kemy Agustien but, with the first real chance of the game, Millwall silenced the Amex. Richard Chaplow slid the ball into Woolford, who put the visitors ahead with an assured finish on the angle.

More fire power was added by the Albion, and within a minute of replacing David Lopez, Kazenga LuaLua threatened with two trademark powerful strikes as Albion began to show more attacking purpose. Orlandi was next to arrow a strike at goal, only for a brave block from Shane Lowry to deny the Spaniard.

Another excellent intervention from Lowry denied Will Buckley before Andrew Crofts came within inches of finding the top corner.

Millwall still carried a threat of their own and a swift counter attack ended with a relatively comfortable save for Tomasz Kuszczak from Woolford’s low drive.

Minutes later the Amex erupted as Orlandi’s exquisite free-kick was nodded home by Ulloa only for celebrations to soon be muted by referee Bobby Madley giving a foul against the Argentinian.

Madley was soon in the thick of the action again as Alan Dunne’s late tackle on Orlandi earned him a second yellow card and an early exit from the field.

As time ebbed away Albion were camped in the ten man Millwall half with Stephen Ward, Buckley and Ulloa all having half chances for an equaliser. Some individual brilliance from Orlandi forced a terrific save out of David Forde, as he beat three men before unleashing his drilled effort.

However it was another late Amex show again as LuaLua’s magnificent work down the left helped inspire the equaliser; the Congolese winger picking out Ulloa for a simple tap in to the ecstasy of the home crowd.

Buckley nearly won it in the dying moments as the ball pinballed around the box but once again Lowry was on hand to save his side, clearing off the line.  The impressive Orlandi nearly made it a perfect return as he dropped a curling effort narrowly wide in injury time but the spoils were to be shared.

Advertisement block