Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town v Albion

14 August 2012

Swindon Town 3 Albion 0

Former Seagull Alan Navarro served Albion a double dose of revenge as he inspired his new side Swindon Town to a superb 3-0 win in the Capital One Cup - scoring twice and making the other as the League One new boys were comprehensive winners.

Navarro's free kick created the opener for striker Paul Benson early in the second half, but the midfielder, who scored just once in three years with Albion, got two in ten second-half minutes on his Swindon debut.

The midfielder deservedly left the field to a standing ovation from both sets of supporters after 80 minutes and shortly afterwards was named man of the match by the PA.

Despite the comfortable scoreline, Swindon failed to test Albion's debutant keeper Tomasz Kuszczak in a quiet first half.

Albion dominated for long spells in the opening 45 minutes, but Swindon were well organised, if not adventurous, and their solid back four denied the Seagulls any real clearcut chances, although Barnes went close with an early header from a tight angle which hit the outside of the post.

Debutant Bruno also tried his luck with a speculative low drive which had Wes Foderingham diving low to his right and pushing the ball to safety. While a silky, trademark Vicente run down the left created an opening for Barnes in the final minute of the first half, the Robins keeper was equal to the striker's

low shot.

The second half saw a completely different approach from the hosts, and they went ahead eight minutes after the interval with their first chance of the night.

A well-worked free kick by Navarro eventually found its way to former Charlton Athletic striker Benson, who poked the ball past the previously unemployed Kuszczak to put the League Two champions ahead.

Former Pompey midfielder Matt Ritchie looked to increase Swindon's lead on the hour mark with a low drive from the right wing which had Kuszczak moving across to cover, but it eventually hit the side netting.

Albion responded with a rampaging run down the left wing from Craig Noone, and his clever cross picked out Vicente in the penalty area. The Spaniard worked space to turn and unleash a low drive, but Foderingham was down quickly to save.

Navarro added Swindon's second with a superb right-footed finish which left Kuszczak with little chance. Andy Williams got clear on the left, stepped inside and squared the ball for the former Albion man, bursting forward into the penalty area to fire the ball into the keeper's top-left corner.

Swindon, with the wind in their sails, went in search of further goals, and a nasty ricochet almost caught out Lewis Dunk, before Williams tried his luck with a low drive which deflected behind for a corner.

Navarro added his second goal after 75 minutes with a classic route-one goal. Benson flicked on Foderingham's long kick forward, and Williams again teed up Navarro to double his tally with a great strike which deflected off substitute Inigo Calderon.

Albion will hope to have the trio of Will Buckley, Kazenga LuaLua and Craig Mackail-Smith available to add some additional attacking force in the Championship opener at Hull City, while one positive on an otherwise miserable night is that Andrew Crofts will be back for the trip to KC Stadium after missing

tonight's game due to international commitments with Wales.


Swindon Town: (4-4-2) Foderingham (GK); Devera, Archibald-Henville, McCormack, McEveley; De Vita (Rooney 87), Miller, Navarro (Ferry 80), Ritchie; WIlliams, Benson (Storey 89). Subs not used: Bedwell (GK), Flint, Risser, Thompson.

Albion: (4-3-3) Kuszczak (GK); Bruno, Greer, Dunk, Bridge; Bridcutt, Harley (Calderon 55), Dicker (Agdestein 66); Barnes, Vicente, Noone. Subs not used: Ankergren (GK), El-Abd, Painter, Oatway, Dickenson.

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Attendance: 5,737 (716 Albion)

Yellow cards: Navarro (Swindon Town); Barnes (Albion)

Advertisement block