U23 Report: Albion denied a point after stunner from Evans

Brought to you by...

Albion were denied a point against the Premier League 2 champions after Antony Evans struck a stunning stoppage-time winner for Everton at the Amex.

By Bruce Talbot • 20 September 2019

By Jason Brown
Ryan Longman in action against Everton
  • Albion's under-23s are beaten 2-1 by Everton at the Amex
  • Anthony Gordon broke the deadlock for the Toffees
  • Warren O'Hora scored a late equaliser for Albion
  • Antony Evans netted a late winner for the visitors

Defender Warren O’Hora looked to have rescued a point for the Seagulls when he netted from close range in the 89th minute. But in the first minute of stoppage time, midfielder Evans gave Hugo Keto no chance with a brilliant strike from 25 yards which flew into the top right-hand corner.

Jordan Davies in action against Everton

It was a superb finish but harsh on hardworking Albion, who thought they had rescued a point when O’Hora smashed the ball home from close range seconds after his header from a corner had been parried by Everton keeper Harry Tyrer.

It was Albion’s fifth defeat in seven league games, although aspects of their performance, and in particular the contribution of Taylor Richards, caught the eye.

Albion made the worst-possible start when they went behind after just three minutes. Anthony Gordon had too much space on the left and he drove into the box before firing under Keto from ten yards.

By Jason Brown
Peter Gwargis looks to go past his marker.

Brighton’s response was impressive. Jordan Davies curled a free-kick just over from 25 yards and Tyrer was the busier keeper in the first third of the contest, as the hosts probed for a clear opening, with Richards at the heart of their best moments.

Peter Gwargis tested Tyrer with a left-foot shot and O’Hora headed a corner over, while Davies had another attempt from distance, but this time his shot skidded wide of the post.

Everton began to threaten again before the break. Keto smothered the ball at the feet of Beni Baningime before keeping out Gordon’s volley. Defender Matt Foulds headed over from a free kick for the visitors and Albion had to re-adjust when Andrew Crofts went off with an injury on his first appearance at the Amex since February 2016.

Warren O'Hora celebrates scoring against Everton.

The Seagulls began the second half on the front foot, as some trickery by Richards opened up space for a shot on the right-hand corner of the six-yard box which Tyrer spilled, forcing Alex Denny to hurriedly hook the ball clear from in front of goal.

The hosts were dominating possession at this stage as they searched for an equaliser, but the visitors still carried a threat and Gordon tested Keto again on the hour when he made space for a close-range shot.

Everton went even closer in the 70th minute when Gordon broke down the right and pulled the ball into Evans’s path, but Keto was quickly out to block and Albion cleared.

Then came the dramatic finale as Albion thought they had taken a point through O'Hora, only for Evans to hit a stunning winner for the visitors.

ALBION: Keto, Davies, Cochrane (c), Crofts (sub: Freestone 31 (sub: Cashman 70)), O’Hora, Roberts, Richards, Jenks, Longman, Davies (sub: Yapi 66), Gwargis.

SUBS NOT USED: McGill (GK) Wilson.

Latest News

More News