Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
03 November 2017 Venue The Amex Elite Football Performance Centre Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Brighton and Hove Albion PL2
2 - 3
Hull City U23

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Previews


3 November 2017

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s return to Premier League Cup action this evening, as they welcome Hull City to the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, kick-off 7pm.

The Seagulls lead Group H after their emphatic 5-0 victory over Sunderland in the north east, and have a game in hand over the Black Cats, who beat Exeter City 2-1 in their second fixture.

Two goals each for Max Sanders and Steven Alzate set Albion on their way, before James Tilley rounded off a fine display with a fifth goal at the Eppleton Colliery Welfare Ground at the end of September.

Tonight’s opponents opened their account with a disappointing 2-0 home defeat to Exeter, but the Tigers are currently seven games unbeaten in the Professional Development League, as they occupy third spot in the table.

In the Premier League 2 Division 2, Albion returned to winning ways on Monday evening, as Aaron Connolly’s second-half strike sealed a narrow 1-0 victory over ten-man Southampton in Hampshire.

Simon Rusk’s team will be looking to strengthen their position at the top of Group H this evening, before they travel to St James Park at the beginning of December to play Exeter.

Before that, the Seagulls take on Stoke City and Wolverhampton Wanders in league competition, as well as coming up against Stevenage and East Preston in the Checkatrade Trophy and Parafix Sussex Senior Cup respectively.

Please note that tickets for the game are no longer available and anyone turning up without one will be refused entry.

Albion supporters attending the game can get free parking at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


3 November 2017

Paul Hazlewood
Jayson Molumby in action against Hull City.
  • Albion narrowly lose their second Premier League Cup match to Hull City
  • Aaron Connolly and Sam Baldock both on target
  • Hull’s 16-year-old Lewis-Polter grabbed the winner late on
  • Albion remain top of the group on goal difference

Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23s fell to their first defeat in the Premier League Cup, as Hull City recorded a 3-2 win at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre on Friday night.

After an emphatic 5-0 victory over Sunderland in their first group game back in September, Albion entered the game in fine spirits, but were quickly put under the cosh.   

After Josh Kerr lost possession in the second minute, Hull countered and a drilled pass across goal from Tyler Hamilton fell to Ben Hinchcliffe at the back post, who tapped into an open net.

In response, George Cox’s low cross was met at the near post by Sam Baldock, but the striker’s faint flick was well saved.

On a cold night in Lancing, Max Sanders stung the keeper’s palms with a powerful strike from 25 yards. The parry fell dangerously in the box, but a scrappy phase of play ended without Hull’s net rippling.

After a long spell of dominance, Albion made the breakthrough in the 27th minute. Aaron Connolly collected the ball 18 yards out after a neat lay off from Steven Alzate and stroked it calmly around the outstretched arm of Harrison Foulkes.

Albion could not sustain the pressure after their goal, however, and got caught on the counter attack in the 41st minute.

Keane Lewis-Polter galloped into space in midfield, rolled the ball to Hinchliffe, and when the striker’s shot was palmed into the path of Tom Powell, the Tigers’ number nine confidently passed the ball into the corner.

On the brink of half time, Alzate found space on the right and shifted the ball smartly to strike from 15 yards out, but the post denied the winger an equaliser.

Albion had a flurry of corners early in the second half, and finally made one count in the 56th minute. Soufyan Ahannach’s whipped delivery met Kerr, and his glancing header across goal was tapped in by Baldock at the back post.

The pendulum swung in Albion’s favour again when Lewis Ritson’s professional foul earned him a second yellow. Ahannach struck the resulting free-kick sweetly, but the bar denied him.

But for all of Albion’s attacking endeavour, the 10 men of Hull then swarmed forward on the break. When Lewis-Polter’s header was parried back into the mixer by Tom McGill, the 16-year-old reacted quickly to poke home.

Despite the numerical advantage and pressure at the end, Hull held on to register their first Premier League Cup victory.

ALBION: McGill; Mateju, Moore, Kerr, Cox; Alzate (Tilley 82), Molumby, Sanders, Ahannach; Connolly, Baldock (Hutchinson 60).

SUBS NOT USED: Collings (GK), Collar, J.Davies.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block